Trying to get by...

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Why my friend Ahmad is in love with Angelina Jolie.

Salam, Well, I have this friend who's in love with Angelina Jolie, but to me I was not on the same band wagon, simply because she wasn't my type (Salma Hayek is though :P). But my friend who's name is Ahmad (online buddy for over 7 years) elaborated and told me he is not in love with her because of her looks only, she is an activist. So I went on researching her Activist role. Check her out Here, Here, Here, Here and there : http://www.usaforunhcr.org/usaforunhcr/uploadedfiles/joliejordan.pdf. She also spent Christmas of 2004 in children hospital with children with cancer in Lebanon. Read this: JOLIE'S CHRISTMAS TREAT FOR BEIRUT CANCER KIDS . I now have more respect for Angelina and I'm afraid Salma's rank is threatened now that I know more of Jolie. P.S: there are other celebraties who are activists as well, such as : ___________________________________________________________________ Ronaldo, Read more here The checkpoints prevented Ronaldo from granting the wish of a 12-year-old Palestinian boy in the Rafah refugee camp, named Hamad al-Nairib. Hamad once dreamt of becoming “the Ronaldo of Palestine,” but such hopes were dashed when an Israeli cruise missile eviscerated one of his legs. Hamad wrote the following letter, urging Ronaldo to defy the travel ban on the Gaza strip, so the two of them could “shake hands.” Here is the full text of Hamad’s letter. (Note: This letter has been widely published in the European and Middle Eastern papers but to my knowledge hasn’t appeared anywhere in the mainstream press in the United States.) “Dear Ronaldo, My name is Hamad al-Nairab, I am 12-year-old, live in the Refugee Camp of al-Shabboura in the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah. I like football very much, and love you very much. I am one of the supporters of the Brazilian football team. Everyday, I watch football matches on TV to see you while playing football. I used to play football in our quarter. I used to wear the yellow shirt with number 9. I hoped to visit Brazil to see you there, play with you and to take picture with you. I had a dream to be older and older and to become a famous professional footballer like you, I had a dream to be the Ronaldo of Palestine. Dear Ronaldo, I cannot play football because I lost my left leg. On May 19, 2004, me and my friends participated in a peaceful march in Rafah. The Israeli helicopters hit us with missiles. A lot of friends were killed and others wounded. On that day, I lost my leg and my dreams dead. No more playing football. I was so pleased and surprised when I heard that you are visiting our homeland Palestine. But, unfortunately, I will be not able to see you because of the Israeli checkpoints and my health condition. All of my friends love you so much, and love football, they hope just to see you even for seconds. Seeing you is one of their big dreams. I invite you to visit Rafah and beg you to agree, to award me the opportunity to shake hand with you and to take pictures with you. And to see how much the people here love you. All of them talk about you and about your visit. I hope you will not disappoint the children of Rafah and all the people here who love you. We are waiting for you, Hamad al-Nairab.” _________________________________________________________________ Richard Gear American actor Richard Gere and Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi pause for the media after their meeting at her house in the West Bank town of Ramallah, Tuesday, June 3 , 2003. ( AP Photo/Nasser Nasser) Via EI _________________________________________________________________ Ricky Martin Via Sabbah's Blog AMMAN, Jordan - On his first visit to the Middle East, Ricky Martin declared he will try to change negative perceptions of Arab youth in the West. “I promise I will become a spokesperson, if you allow me to, a spokesperson on your behalf. I will defend you and try to get rid of any stereotypes,” the 33-year-old singer told youngsters from 16 mainly Arab countries at a youth conference on Monday. The children, ages 14 to 16, expressed concern about being labeled as “terrorists” by the West. Read more.. Peace

5 comments:

Reema said...

I never liked Hanan Ashrawi because of the things she said when Kuwait was invaded.

PALFORCE said...

I dont know what she said about Kuwait, but Ashrawi is someone who I highly respect, again we are all humans and no one is perfect if she said something wrong that should not void all her efforts toward peace.
I would write to her and let her know how you feel about what she said back then, I met her in DC she is a fine lady.

Reema said...

It's okay Palforce it happened a long time ago and don't forget back then some of the palestinians justified the invasion of Kuwait as a way to free their country, sadly she was one of them. People change through time maybe she did, who knows.
Peace.

PALFORCE said...

Yupe, sadly that’s one of the deadliest mistakes the Palestinian authority committed towards the Palestinian people along other mistakes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Palforce for sharing my story. I just wanted to add that Angelina and I have been together, and in love, since the days of "Hackers" although she doesn't know it yet... *cough* and never will *cough*.

Reema is just jealous 'cause Hanan is posing next to Richard Gere, who has been with Cindy Crawford at some point in the past...

Damn it. I'm jealous, too.